Setting up Geo (PREMIUM SELF)
These instructions assume you have a working instance of GitLab. They guide you through:
- Making your existing instance the primary site.
- Adding secondary site(s).
WARNING: The steps below should be followed in the order they appear. Make sure the GitLab version is the same on all sites.
Using Omnibus GitLab
If you installed GitLab using the Omnibus packages (highly recommended):
- Install GitLab Enterprise Edition on the node(s) that will serve as the secondary site. Do not create an account or log in to the new secondary site.
- Upload the GitLab License on the primary site to unlock Geo. The license must be for GitLab Premium or higher.
Set up the database replication (
primary (read-write) <-> secondary (read-only)topology).
- Configure fast lookup of authorized SSH keys in the database. This step is required and needs to be done on both the primary and secondary site(s).
- Configure GitLab to set the primary and secondary site(s).
- Optional: Configure a secondary LDAP server for the secondary site(s). See notes on LDAP.
- Follow the Using a Geo Site guide.
After installing GitLab on the secondary site(s) and performing the initial configuration, see the following documentation for post-installation information.